Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Digital Badge #C-Chapter 3

Chapter 3 is all about transforming learning with unique. powerful technology !






     A Parent-Teacher Conference : the conversation that happened between these two, I would most likely be the parent. But after finishing reading this chapter I changed my side to the teachers. I did this so because at first, I also agreed with the question this parent asked but little did I know that after reading I learned so much new information that changed the way I thought. Some parens still do not understand why most teachers use technology teach, my mother is one of them. Even though she uses her iPad everyday for everything, including paying bills, watching soap operas, or looking for new houses that are on sale around our neighborhood. She still thinks that we would learn so much better without technology, because she says that we trust the internet so much and so we do not bother to check our books for the right answer. She just doesn't understand that the computer or iPad can also be used to make teaching more exciting and interactive than just reading our books, and taking notes in class.

     The Role of Feedback : we use that a lot in college. Not so much in middle school did I see feedback from my teachers, but now is when I've noticed it the most and I love it. I think giving your students feedback for things they have done and turned in for a grade is awesome. You have not just showed that you have taken your time to read something and replied to, but it also helps students see where they can improve and what they are doing good on. Students giving their teacher feedback is also very important. It allows the teachers to concentrate more on whats not being understood, and who in the class needs more help on certain things. That to me is a huge advantage because you can choose the ones that understand faster to help you help the others student too. Out of all the choices they described that teachers can also use technology for feedback, I currently have used 7 out of 9, throughout  these 3 years in college, and it has been a great advantage as a student .

     Groupwork and Collaboration: To begging talking about this topic I'd like to start of with, in order for group work to be successful , it needs to be taught from the start. Group work has been used since I was in first grade until now. It doesn't only let us share our thoughts and special skills with other students but one thing it wasn't mentioned in the book is that it also lets students to know each other a little more. Working in groups where students with different skills and knowledge gives them the availability of sharing that with each other. Although that is least used in College because the amount of time we have in classes, group presentations lets us work together and gives us the opportunity to get to know different kinds of people we may see later on the year in a different class. Technology comes in handy for students to be able to exchange their ideas they came up with independently while   working together to come up with something better.
Photo credits to UBC Learning Commons on Flickr




References:
Maloy, R. W., Verock-O'Loughlin, R., Edwards, S., & Woolf, B. (2011).Transforming learning with new technologies. Boston: Pearson/Allyn and Bacon. 

1 comment:

  1. Love your relevant picture and video - you can see that just the color and the movement help to extend the thoughts of which you write. I had to chuckle when I read your experience about your mother who uses her iPad but believes books are better for college! :) Reminds me of the story I mentioned in class last week about the power of more accurate internet writing (due to timeliness, i.e., Pluto as a planet). More importantly, considering how to evaluate the online web pages (the focus of my presentation) is what we need to learn (and teach how) to do! :)

    ReplyDelete