Monday, September 29, 2014

Digital Badge #F- Chapter 8




Photo Credits to: infocux Technologies on Flickr

It was hard writing about this chapter because I just wanted to write about everything. I feel like I knew it all and it felt awesome. But here are a few concepts that I thought it would be cool for me to mention on my blog of this week:

Electronic Communication Between Teachers and Students- This section talks about multiple social media technologies that we are able to use in teaching. Out of the five that were included I have used experienced using all of them. I can say using every single one of these social media such as Email, Teacher or classroom websites,Blogs,Online discussions, or wikis have been either helpful as a student to communicate with my teachers or fun to use to communicate with both teachers and my fellow classmates. I have recently started using blogs even though I have heard of blogs before. Another one I am starting to get familiar with is the wiki. I think writing blogs are so much fun to create. We are able to write just as if we were writing and creating a journal. Thanks to this class and my last two years attending FSW I have learned of all of these social media technologies I will be able to use later on as well.

Hold Online Office Hours- I have only experienced this one semester my first year of college. My professor for biology had online office hours before an exam. We were able to ask her questions regarding anything we were still confused about the chapter . Through this we were all able to see each others questions and her responses, so if we had the same question we didn't have to ask again, it was already there. I do not think why this would be a problem for any teachers, it is actually very helpful for your students and by doing this your setting them up for success as well. At least an hour would be great, that is what my biology teacher did with our class and I found it to be very helpful. Although not all students will take advantage of this great opportunity, other students will appreciate it.

Communicating with Skype- I had never used Skype for anything else other than to speak to my family in Bolivia. I thought it was pretty neat when it first came out, then I started using Oovoo, another form of video chatting. I would of never thought you could use this in a classroom. Reading this made me think of how cool it would actually be talking to other students in class from a different country. Being able to communicate with students from your same grade about a certain subject and sharing ideas. I wonder if any teachers have actually done this and if so how did it turn out and if students enjoyed it. I would do it with my students if I had the chance to do so, what a cool experience. 

1 comment:

  1. It is always interesting for me to read comments from students who are already social media saturated - especially when they reveal that they would have never thought to use them in a learning situation. It is pretty cool though! :) I love how blogging supports literacy skills (not only reading and writing, but digital citizenship). It is also good to know that you have already experienced the use of some of these tools (outside of this class) in your college classes. There's always more to learn and try! :)

    ReplyDelete