Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Digital Badge #L-Chapter 6






Designing Successful WebQuests- Reading about this topic in this chapter was actually really interesting. I feel as if we covered all of it in class. The book gives a great explanation of the purpose of a WebQuest and what questions everyone doing a WebQuest should be thinking about while doing theirs. I never had a clue what a WebQuest was but had heard of it before. Being able to create one in this class I think will be challenging, especially not having a good amount of time to do everything it should include. On the other hand, I think making one of these on my own will definitely be a great advantage for myself and good learning experience I can keep forever. This will help me in my teaching career as well as current student. 


Interactive Videoconferencing- Videoconferencing can be such a great learning experience and very helpful as well. It allows anyone to be in places where they can't be or visit. This is so helpful for our students or teachers. For example the day one of the girls from our class who could not be present because of a family emergency, videoconferencing made it possible to still attend our class. Not physically but it was as if she was there being a part of the class, which is cool too because she was able to finish working on a class project with her group due to this awesome invention. Videoconferencing is not only helpful in schools but it also allows people who are in the military to see their loved ones who they have not seen in a while for whatever circumstances. I find this so amazing because I have gone through this with my Fiancé, and thanks to the opportunity of being able to do a videoconference I was able to see him and communicate while he was deployed in Afghanistan, rather than just talking on the phone and listen to his voice which was not possible anyways because he was out of the country and could not use his phone. I have also been able to see family members from a different country who I have not seen in a while and have been able to participate in conversations with my cousins like the good old days when we were all together.
Photo Credited to: bhagavanpabbu on Flickr.com



Debates over Virtual Schools- This topic is well described in the chapter. I am more than positive it can be discussed in more than half a page. Personally I stand in the middle, I don't think virtual schools is either good or bad. If I had a child and I had to pick between sending them to school or allowing them to do virtual school I would choose going to school. Not that I think allowing my kid to do virtual schools is bad, but to allow them to experience the real world first and if an issue occurs later on, than I would consider my second option. The book did a great job at giving many positives for virtual schools which I agree with them all, but it also gave some negatives which I also agree on. I think with all the crazy situations that have been going on in schools like the shootings virtual schools gives parents the great opportunity for their children to keep learning but most importantly keeping them safe from all the danger. I would say the statistics of students attending virtual schools now to back then are a lot higher than it has ever been. Once again, I love this opportunity for students and myself, and everyone is welcomed to pick their side. All I know is that it has been a great invention for anyone in need of this great experience. Like I have said before, we could not have done this without technology, this is why it is so important !




1 comment:

  1. It really is incredible to think about all of the inventions that have improved our lives and learning due to technology - what an amazing difference from even a couple of decades ago. And you will be a part of helping to create the future of students with the impact of technology as well. It is quite the adventure we live! :)

    The virtual school definitely has advantages and disadvantages as does pretty much everything. I would recommend that we always look at how those characteristics match (or not) the person for whom we are considering to assign those various programs. The value of independent learning is a positive that is often overlooked in the online programs and yet that skill alone can take a student far with the capability of transferring to so many future learning opportunities.

    ReplyDelete